Menu

31 March 2020

Dirty Rice {A Recipe}

Hey there, all you cool cats and kittens!

Sorry, I literally could not help myself.

Life in quarantine has me (or Andy) cooking a whole lot more than usual. Kind of? I guess we normally eat out 1-2x per week. We just aren't really leaving the house so it seems like we're cooking a lot more than usual. Probably more during school/cheer/tumbling season. I'd imagine you're all in the same boat, since everything is closed down to curbside pickup/to go only.

When we do get take out, we make sure we're frequenting locally owned businesses only. Mostly, the Dairy Dip. Our very close family friends own it and it is our go-to for dinner even when we aren't in quarantine!

Today I'm sharing a recipe for dirty rice. Which, my sister calls company rice, and maybe my mom does, too... but I think they're the same thing. It had been years since I had even thought of this dish until about two months ago. And I know my mom made it but I don't think she put peppers in it... because my mom doesn't do vegetables. Like, at all.



Anyway, this rice is delicious and dirty rice might or might not be the same as company rice. For all intents and purposes, I'm calling it dirty rice for this blog post!

Ingredients:
1 red bell pepper
1 green bell pepper
1 white onion
1 tube breakfast sausage (I use the spicy one)
2 cups dry jasmine rice
Tony Chachere's creole seasoning

Start your jasmine rice according to package directions.
De-seed and dice both bell peppers, and onion. Begin cooking the breakfast sausage, I make sure to use my spatula and chop the sausage up into tiny crumbles. This is personal preference, I don't really love the texture of any kind of meat unless it is chopped fine/thin/very well done. Add peppers and onions to sausage, sautéing them in the sausage grease. When sausage has browned, add creole seasoning (to taste-- we like spicy foods so I am generous with the sprinkling). Once the sausage and peppers have simmered with the seasoning for a few minutes, drain the grease off them. I put them in a small strainer and also use a paper towel or two to soak up any remaining grease. Add sausage and veggie mix to rice and stir well. Easy Peasy dinner is done!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting!