Menu

05 January 2016

Verde Chicken & Rice (Crockpot Recipe)

I don't know about y'all, but my resolutions for 2016 are probably a little bit different than mine for last year. And the year before, and the year before. I have a couple of family resolutions and they include "eat more vegetables," "get Sophia to eat anything besides pretzels," and "try more new things," -- all as a family.

Last night I knew I would make chicken (We have FORTY pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts in our freezer, thanks to ZAYCON!), but I'm definitely bored with the usual baked chicken, side of veggies, sometimes rice or quinoa or couscous. I know my husband is too, and my kids hate everything I just mentioned. At least in that combo.

We had just visited my grandparents and of course that meant the best ever homemade tequitos, tacos, salsa, beans. OMG SO GOOD. I'm always in the mood for mexican food anyway.. its literally my favorite food genre EVER. Mondays are also our late night for the week because of ballet, so I knew I'd want something super easy (sometimes we get Eureka pizza.... $4.88 for a large one topping, can't beat it!). Crockpot to the rescue!! One bowl meals are the best.

This is not the most attractive looking meal, which is why there's not a picture... but... its delishhhhuuuusssssss. Delicious! :)








You will need:
crockpot
electricity
2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts (get a zaycon account here)
2 cans of green enchilada sauce
1 can red kidney beans
1 can sweet corn
1 1/2 cups brown rice (uncooked)
1 cup water
1 orange bell pepper
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp garlic powder
black pepper to taste

Chop the bell pepper into small bites. Add one can enchilada sauce to crock pot, lay chicken on top. Add the other can of enchilada sauce, the can of beans, the bell pepper, and spices. Cook on low 3-5 hours or until chicken falls apart easily when you touch it with a fork. One hour before you're ready to eat, add the rice and water. Just before serving, stir in the can of corn (drained).

This was an easy meal to make and my whole family enjoyed it.... even if Sophia whined the entire time, she ate it!

** Zaycon did not sponsor this post in any way shape or form. I just LOVE this company and the wonderful customer service I've experienced with them! As a business owner, I realize the importance of customer satisfaction and word of mouth. If you're local to me (Fort Smith), I really can't say enough about the great experience I've had at our drop off (CTK school).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting!